departing from the general theme of my blog, i am going to share some information i have recently come across that i thought worthy of repeating.
item #1: mountain dew
we found a new orthodontist for natasha and at our first visit, he informed us that if we became his patients, he would not allow us to drink mountain dew. well, we don't. we don't drink caffeinated drinks and rarely drink carbonated drinks. but he proceeded to give us an astounding list of reasons to avoid mountain dew.
1. cavities - he and his associates have seen as many as 30 to 50 cavities in one check up from avid mountain dew fans.
2. kidneys - he gave me case after documented case, from physicians in the area, including the physician of the year for last year, who have seen young people, teenagers who drink mountain dew, go into renal failure and require dialysis and kidney donors. apparently, it is caused by the yellow dye. why haven't we heard of this? why is it still on the market? according to our ortho, they are paying these people off in huge out-of-court settlements.
3. reproductive organs - a family with three teenagers in his practice are under treatment because their reproductive organs were being attacked, purportedly caused by mountain dew, and infertility in women has been reported after regularly drinking mountain dew.
i haven't researched this out completely myself, but i invite you to do so, especially if you drink mountain dew.
4. breast lumps - caused by the excessive caffeine. lexi is reading over my shoulder and saying "grossss!!!!"
5. hyperactivity - but i think we all knew this one, didn't we?
item #2: a bill introduced in 2005
i just learned, well brock learned and shared with me, as is so often the case, that in 2005 john mccain introduced a bill that would have regulated fannie mae & freddie mac, and prevented the problems that they have now caused our economy. his bill was voted down by many, including john kerry, hillary clinton, and barak obama who were receiving campaign donations from the parties that would have been negatively affected by the regualtions. i am not john mccain's biggest supporter, nor am i trying to drum up votes. but i ask, again & again i ask, why are these critical news items never addressed by the mainstream media? why? i'm sure there is a good reason, and i don't like thinking about what that reason may be. i am starting to wonder if the reason that i am not john mccain's biggest supporter is that i don't have all the info.
ok. to balance out the heaviness of this post, here is some light-hearted campaign fun. lexi, tashi, and i had already noticed the similarities between tina fey & sarah palin. and we got a good laugh when we found this clip from snl where tina fey spoofed sarah palin, and amy poelher also did a good hillary clinton impression. be warned, as is the case with snl, there are a few inappropriate lines. i laughed over them so my girls (and I) couldn't hear them.